The assignment was to convey the STAUFEN.INOVA methodology for innovative layouting and value stream design with a high level of practical relevance by applying it in two existing assembly cells. The idea was to transfer knowledge about potentially applicable Lean concepts from the Toyota Production System and to create a broad-based understanding of efficient value creation processes in manual assembly.
The Geberit Group, a European market leader in plumbing products that operates worldwide. As an integrated Group, Geberit boasts a very strong local presence in the majority of European countries, and consequently it offers unique added value both in the field of plumbing technology and in bathroom ceramics. The manufacturing capacities span 35 production plants, six of which are located overseas. The Group headquarters is located in Rapperswil-Jona, Switzerland.
- We conducted a day and a half workshop with representatives of procurement, production, maintenance and production technology.
- We created an open-minded mentality by applying a variety of creativity techniques and exercises.
- We took a deep dive to review the Lean elements waste, one-piece flow, hare hunting, Chaku Chaku cell, milk run and supermarket.
- The existing assembly cell was remodeled, and we developed two options using legos based on the idea of concurrent engineering.
- Two solution scenarios were combined to form the best approach.
- Optimization measures were derived and the implementation thereof was planned.
- All of the developed measures were implemented six weeks after the workshop.
- The production technicians calculated realized, quantifiable savings of CHF 190,000 per year.
- The further development of the “Geberit Production System” was pursued swiftly and with fresh enthusiasm; Shop Floor Management, CIP and “Leading Locally” were further developed, harmonized and rounded off.
Peter Reusser, Senior Advisor Staufen.Inova
Staufen.Inova is known for its “hands-on” mentality. We benefited from this here as well: In three half-day workshops, the fundamentals of efficient assembly were taught, fields of action were identified in a cell and immediately implemented. The annual savings realized were equivalent to a low, six-figure amount – without a doubt an order with an impressive “return on consulting”.